Class Absence for Intercollegiate Event
Approval by: University Curriculum and Policies Committee | Athletic Director
History: Mar 14,2014 | Revised: Oct 1, 2014 | Revised: Aug 23, 2017
Related Forms, Procedures and References:
For Questions Contact: Faculty Athletics Representative | Athletic Director
Purpose: It is the student-athlete’s responsibility to communicate with instructors about any circumstances that conflict with class attendance. The student-athlete is expected to manage class absence using the following guidelines, which apply equally to all courses
- Student-athletes shall not miss any regularly scheduled classes for any practice activities.
- For home competition, student-athletes shall not miss any classes prior to one hour before the scheduled competition time, unless the home competition is off-site.
- For away competition with same day travel, student-athletes shall not miss any classes prior to 15 minutes before the scheduled time of departure.
- For away competition with overnight bus travel, no team shall depart more than 24 hours prior to the time of competition. Air travel will be on case by case basis with every effort made to minimize missed class time.
- Student-athletes will continue to present individual notifications to their instructors in advance of each contest which affects their class attendance.
- It is expected that student-athletes will be responsible for submitting all assignments on time and that advance arrangements will be initiated by the student-athlete for any tests, quizzes, presentations and group work which will be missed.
- Faculty members cannot penalize student-athletes for missing classes due to conflicts with contractually scheduled athletic contests and related travel if the student-athlete has informed the faculty member of the conflict a week or more in advance and requested arrangements. Exception made for events that are rescheduled due to weather or other unforeseen circumstance.
- Coaches will not penalize student-athletes for missing practices due to conflicts with regularly scheduled classes for which student-athletes are enrolled.
- No competition will be scheduled on any day on which final examinations are scheduled unless prior approval has been received from the Interim Provost.
- Exceptions may be made to the above statements in the case of special tournaments and competitions, including championship play. However, they must be approved by the Faculty Athletics Representative and the Interim Provost.
- Faculty questions regarding the application of this policy should be directed to the Faculty Athletics Representative or the Athletic Director.