Freedom of Association
Approved by: Office of Student Affairs
Related Policies: Complaints and Grievance Processes
Related Forms, Procedures and References:
For Questions Contact: Office of Student Affairs | 651.690.6778 | email@example.com
- Student organizations, including those with extramural affiliations, shall be open to all students of St. Catherine University.
- The membership, policies and actions of a student organization shall be determined by members of that organization within the policies of the institution as well as state and federal statutes.
- Affiliation with an external organization shall not of itself disqualify a student organization from official institutional recognition.
- Each organization must have a faculty/staff adviser. Advisers shall not have the authority to control the policy, procedures or actions of a student organization.
- Student organizations are required to submit a constitution including a statement of purpose, criteria for membership, a list of rules (policies and procedures for that organization) and a current list of officers; but they shall not be required to submit a list of members in order to receive or maintain official recognition. In order to be officially recognized as student organizations, student organizations shall be required to submit their constitutions to the Student Senate for review. Official status shall be granted by the Associate Provost and Dean of Student Affairs upon the recommendation of the Student Senate.