Financial Aid Information

The financial aid office at St. Catherine University, (651) 690-6540,, processes applications for students in all graduate programs.

Financial aid counselors can answer an applicant's questions and address requests for financial aid. Most financial aid programs require graduate students to be enrolled at least half time. A graduate student is considered full time for financial aid purposes when registered for six or more credits in a given term. A graduate student is considered half time when registered for three credits in a given term.

Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and state student financial aid for the year in which funding is requested. The FAFSA should be completed as soon as possible before the beginning of the academic year or prior to the time the applicant is admitted to the program. Financial aid is awarded on an annual basis and students must reapply each year.


The Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program provides low-interest unsubsidized loans to students enrolled at least half-time. Interest accrues during the in-school and grace period. Direct loans are subject to annual and aggregate loan limits, and repayment typically begins following a six-month grace period after graduation, withdrawal, or drop below half-time status.

The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program provides an opportunity for additional low-interest loan funding for graduate students. This loan program features a fixed interest rate and payments that can be deferred until the student graduates, withdraws, or drops below half-time enrollment status. Interest will accrue from the time the loan is disbursed to the student. A student must qualify for the PLUS Loan based on cost of attendance and credit-worthiness.

To learn more about federal loan options please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Alternative or Private Student Loans

Alternative student loans are another option to help graduate students fund their education. A student’s eligibility for alternative loans is based on her or his credit-worthiness or the credit-worthiness of the cosigner. Please note that as private student loans are essentially a commercial product, the University cannot recommend any one loan option.

To research different loan options please contact the Financial Aid Office.