Withdrawal / Leave of Absence

Withdrawal from the University

Students may withdraw from a graduate program during or after the academic year by contacting their program office. The effective date of withdrawal is the date on which the student initially contacts the program office. Students who do not enroll for a particular term and have not requested a leave of absence may be withdrawn from the program. Students who anticipate returning to the program should request a leave of absence rather than withdraw from the program.

No refunds of tuition are given unless the student officially withdraws. Refunds are made on a prorated basis according to the schedules published in the Summary of Financial Procedures, posted on the Student Accounts website.

Leave of Absence

Students wishing to stop attending classes and return after one semester should request a leave of absence. A leave is effective only after the student contacts her or his program office and officially requests and is granted a leave. Students must also meet with their financial aid counselor to discuss the effect their failure to return from an LOA may have on their loan repayments terms and grace period. Failure to register for courses during a particular term does not constitute a leave of absence and could complicate the student's status with the program.

Students away from the University for more than one semester (fall or spring only, summer is not considered in counting semesters away), must re-enroll through the Office of Graduate Admission when they return from leave and prior to registering for courses. Future registration is on a space-available basis and requires the approval of the graduate program director.

Note: A leave of absence may not exceed 180 days. Students who do not begin classes within the 180 period are administratively withdrawn. Students who have been away from the University more than 180 days – but only one fall or spring semester – should contact the Office of the Registrar prior to registration. Re-enrollment through the admissions office is not required in this circumstance.

Refunds are made on a prorated basis according to the schedules published in the Summary of Financial Procedures, posted on the Student Accounts website.

Policy on Reservists Called to Active Duty

In the event that a registered student of St. Catherine University is called to active duty in the service of the armed forces of the United States, the following policy regarding the student’s registration and accounts will be in effect:

  1. The student’s official status will be leave of absence.
  2. Tuition and fees will be reduced to zero.
  3. Room and board accounts will be prorated to reflect the exact date of withdrawal.
  4. Bookstore accounts and any outstanding library fines will be the responsibility of the student.
  5. Financial aid will be applied to whatever balance remains on the account, with the remainder of the aid remitted to the federal, state or university accounts from which it came.
  6. If the call for active duty occurs after the 10th week of classes, students may consider arranging for incompletes with the instructor, in which case the student would be responsible for all tuition and fees connected with the class.

Students who are called to active duty should contact the Office of the Registrar to initiate this process.

Re-Enrollment to the University

Students in good standing who have been away from the University more than one semester may apply for re-enrollment by contacting the Office of Graduate Admission. If admitted, students are subject to the academic requirements in effect at the time of re-entry. For more information, see the Applicable Catalog policy.

Petitions for re-enrollment after academic suspension must be addressed to the program director.