Veterans Benefits

Approved by: Federal Law 38 USC 3679 as amended by the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018

History: Issued: September 2019

Related Policies:  

Related Forms, Procedures and References: Request for Certification for VA Benefits form | VA Benefits Questions and Answers | | | | | |

For Questions Contact:  School Certifying Official, St. Paul | 651.690.7709 | School Certifying Official, OTA Online | 651.690.8104

Purpose: This policy guides the participation of St. Catherine University in the Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehab) and 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill)  program. 

For purposes of this policy, a veteran is defined as an individual who has provided their DD-214, Certificate of Eligibility, Notice of Basic Eligibility, Statement of Benefits, or Form 1905 to St. Catherine University (henceforth referred to as the University). The University will record this on the students record. 

In compliance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, the University will not assess late fees to students receiving veterans benefits, deny access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or require the student using benefits to borrow additional funds (including, but not limited to; Pell Grants, Federal loans) due to the inability to meet financial obligations to the institution as a result of delayed payments for educational assistance from the VA.

The University will require payment from the student for charges in which there is no expectation for the VA to pay including, but not limited to: fees for room and board, optional fees such as parking, or the unmet portion of tuition the student owes as a result of the veteran student qualifying for less than 100% of maximum education benefits.

The University will also require that the veteran:

  1. Submit a Certificate of Eligibility, Notice of Basic Eligibility, Statement of Benefits, or Form 1905
  2. Submit a Request for Certification of Veteran Benefits
  3. Provide additional information necessary to the proper certification of enrollment by the University

Students who wish to use their education benefits must submit the Request for Certification For VA Benefits form (found on the Registrar’s website) to the School Certifying Official.

The University participates in the Chapter 35 (Dependents Education Assistance) and 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill) programs as well. Federal Law 38 USC 3679 does not apply to these Chapters, but the University applies the law to all students receiving veterans benefits.

If a student changes their registration after receiving a refund, the student may be required to repay St. Catherine University all or a portion of the refund amount. If repayment to the University is not made a hold will be placed on the student's record which will prevent future registration.