Institutional (Residency) Credit Requirement
Approved by: University Curriculum and Policies Committee
History: Updated 3/19/2021 for Fall 2021
Related Policies: Transfer of Credit
Related Forms, Procedures, and References:
For Questions Contact: Student's Academic Advisor
In order to graduate from the University, students must satisfy residency requirements related to total course work, major course work and minor course work, if applicable. Course work in residence is defined as all courses registered for and completed at St. Catherine University. In addition to courses taken on campus, this includes course work taken on an exchange basis (fall and spring semesters only) through the Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities (students enrolled in the College for Women only) and approved study abroad programs.
Credits earned through examination (IB, CLEP, AP, proficiency exams, etc.) or prior learning assessment are not considered in residence and therefore may not be used to satisfy the University's residency requirements. Credits earned from courses taken at other ACTC institutions during January term and in the summer do not count as resident credits.
Overall Residency Requirements
Undergraduate Certificate Programs
- All credits must be taken at St. Catherine University unless stated otherwise by the program.
Associate Degree Programs
- 30 semester credits must be completed in residence.
Baccalaureate Degree Programs - Except RN-BSN Degree Completion
- 48 of the last 64 semester credits must be completed in residence (applies to students seeking their first or second bachelor's degree). Resident credits earned at St. Catherine University for an initial degree are applied to the second degree.
Baccalaureate Degree Programs - Except RN-BSN Degree Completion - Students Enrolling or Re-Enrolling Fall 2021 or Later
- 48 semester credits must be completed in residence (applies to students seeking their first or second bachelor's degree). Resident credits earned at St. Catherine University for an initial degree are applied to the second degree.
- A maximum of 16 credits can be transferred to St. Catherine University during or after the student's term of matriculation. Students must receive prior approval for the course to be transferred. Requests for transfer of courses that were not pre-approved will be denied. The student must submit documentation of the pre-approval to the Registrar’s Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) before they start the course. If the credits will apply to the major or minor, the student must receive prior approval from the department chair, program director, or division chair of the department that offers the major or minor. If the credits will not apply to a major or minor, the student must receive prior approval from a professional advisor in the Office of Academic Advising.
Baccalaureate RN-BSN Degree Completion
30 semester credits must be completed in residence. This requirement is reduced to 26 semester credits for RN-BSN students who have completed a previous baccalaureate degree.
Major and Minor Residency Requirements
The following requirements apply to baccalaureate students only. Associate program students complete all major (professional) courses in residence unless noted otherwise by the program.
Baccalaureate Major Residency Requirement
- A minimum of one-half of the courses in the major must be completed in residence.
Baccalaureate Minor Residency Requirement
- A maximum of two transfer courses may be counted toward a minor.