Regionally Accredited College and Universtiy Courses
Approved by: University Curriculum and Policies Committee
History: Updated 3/19/2021 for Fall 2021
Related Forms, Procedures and References: Transfer Students website
For Questions Contact: Office of the Registrar | 651.690.6531
Transfer Credits from Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities
The registrar administers the credit evaluation process for transfer purposes. Generally, college-level course work from regionally accredited institutions of higher education will be considered for transfer toward the St. Catherine University degree. To be accepted, transfer course work must be college level, not vocational-technical, must apply to the University's program requirements, and must carry a grade of C- or better. Credits will be transferred (after conversion to semester credits when necessary) for all approved course work and will be included in the cumulative earned credit hours and cumulative grade point average at St. Catherine University. In order for courses to be counted as equivalent to St. Catherine courses, the equivalency must be approved by the appropriate department chair or program director.
Post Secondary Enrollment Option / Colleges in the Schools
Regionally accredited college and university transfer work may be earned after graduation from high school or while still enrolled in high school via one of two programs (or similar programs in other states):
PSEO (Post Secondary Enrollment Option)
High school students eligible for this program register for and attend courses at a regionally accredited college or university. PSEO credits and grades are documented on the college transcript and submitted to St. Catherine University for transfer review.
CIS (Colleges in the Schools)
High school students eligible for this program attend courses at their high school that are taught in partnership with a regionally accredited college or university. CIS credits and grades are documented on the college transcript and submitted to St. Catherine University for transfer review.
Overall Residency Requirements
Undergraduate Certificate Programs
- All credits must be taken at St. Catherine University unless stated otherwise by the program.
Associate Degree Programs
- 30 semester credits must be completed in residence.
Baccalaureate Degree Programs - Except RN-BSN Degree Completion
- 48 of the last 64 semester credits must be completed in residence (applies to students seeking their first or second bachelor's degree). Resident credits earned at St. Catherine University for an initial degree are applied to the second degree.
Baccalaureate Degree Programs - Except RN-BSN Degree Completion - Students Enrolling or Re-Enrolling Fall 2021 or Later
- 48 semester credits must be completed in residence (applies to students seeking their first or second bachelor's degree). Resident credits earned at St. Catherine University for an initial degree are applied to the second degree.
- A maximum of 16 credits can be transferred to St. Catherine University during or after the student's term of matriculation. Students must receive prior approval for the course to be transferred. Requests for transfer of courses that were not pre-approved will be denied. The student must submit documentation of the pre-approval to the Registrar’s Office (email@example.com) before they start the course. If the credits will apply to the major or minor, the student must receive prior approval from the department chair, program director, or division chair of the department that offers the major or minor. If the credits will not apply to a major or minor, the student must receive prior approval from a professional advisor in the Office of Academic Advising.
Baccalaureate RN-BSN Degree Completion
30 semester credits must be completed in residence. This requirement is reduced to 26 semester credits for RN-BSN students who have completed a previous baccalaureate degree.
Major and Minor Residency Requirements
The following requirements apply to baccalaureate students only. Associate program students complete all major (professional) courses in residence unless noted otherwise by the program.
Baccalaureate Major Residency Requirement
- A minimum of one-half of the courses in the major must be completed in residence.
Baccalaureate Minor Residency Requirement
- A maximum of two transfer courses may be counted toward a minor.